In 1270 the castle was founded by Bavor II of Strakonice, probably because he needed a headquarters from where he could manage his land. His wife Aněžka, the illegitimate daughter of the Czech King Přemysl Otakar II, received this area as her dowry.
In 1315, however, his son Bavor III exchanged it with his brothers Přibík, Verner, and Rack for the Vitějovice castle near Prachatice. From that moment, the new owners were named after the acquired castle. The most important member of the family is considered to be Markvart I of Pořešín, the chamberlain of Empress Elizabeth of Pomerania from 1358 to 1406.
After the death of the last lord of Pořešín, the castle became the property of Jan and Hrošek of Maršovice. At the end of the 14th century, the second bailey was built in the castle grounds during extensive reconstructions. During the Hussite wars, the castle was held by several unknown owners before it became the inherited property of Emperor Sigismund of Luxembourg, who gave it to Oldřich II of Rožmberk. Oldřich II was known for his counterfeiting activities and likely had the family archive of the Lords of Pořešín destroyed. Around 1433, in fear of the Hussite danger, he had the castle fortifications torn down. The castle was never renewed.
Points of interest
Today, there are still two preserved castle gates and three dividing moats with a bridge, the foundations of the castle tower, the kitchen, and the remains of the palas. Five information boards document the original appearance, giving us a “look into the past”. The complex also includes replicas of medieval cuisine, blacksmiths, and pottery shops, where craft courses take place during the summer months. The archaeological museum is remarkable. In addition to the history of the castle, it describes life in the Middle Ages (kitchen utensils and tableware, sewing utensils, tools, military equipment, coins). In the castle pub “U Markvarta z Pořešína” you can enjoy meals prepared according to the first medieval Czech cookbook from 1535.
Once upon a time there was a wicked castle woman in Pořešín, who was feared in the wide surroundings. She captured many innocent and illegally sentenced people in her prison. Much blood has flowed and many young people have died during their cruel reign. She has punished young girls especially hard, which she envied for her beauty. She kept the girls under unbearable conditions with only water and bread until they died alone. One of her victims was a girl with beautiful golden hair coming from a nearby village. At a summer day in the woods around Pořešín she collected firewood. In the vicinity of Pořešín she was abducted by squires on the orders of the castle woman and taken to the castle. After a short time she was finally brutally murdered. Her bloody head hung on long hair from the castle wall for a few days. Ultimately, however, the castle woman was punished for her terrible deeds just and her restless soul has since been in the castle ruins. Sometimes visitors can see their mind and are asked to be liberated by it.
Tel: +43 (0)50/7263-31