Saxenegg Castle was built in the first half of the 13th century to facilitate forest clearing. 1297 the castle was the seat of Ulrich and Wernhart Sechsenek.
1342 the defensive complex passed over to Burghart Kneusser as a fief, who expanded it and established the castle chapel for mass.
1382 his son Hans sold the castle with all its accessories to the provincial prince, Duke Albrecht III. The Duke did not pay the purchase price, so it remained in Hans Kneusser’s possession as a lifetime dowry. Burgrave Rudolf der Harsch had to promise the Duke to “permit him access to the castle at any time”. After the Kneusser family died out, Saxenegg became the subject of a pledge back to the provincial princes. 1410 the castle passed over to the brothers Erhard and Wilhelm von Zelking. The Zelkings, an art-loving ministerial family of provincial princes (donors of the famous wing altar in Kefermarkt) also owned the Weinberg Castle in Kefermarkt and their hereditary Zelking estate (not far from Melk).
1432 Saxenegg was besieged the Hussites and destroyed.
1438 King Albrecht permitted the demolition of “Sechsenek Castle”.
1473 Christoph von Zelking received the right to organize a mass from the former castle chapel to a church in Kefermarkt. The castle thus became desolate after about 200 years. 1493 the brothers Sigmund and Heinrich Prüschenk (builders of Greinburg) acquired the remains of the ruins with the respective estates.
1525 Saxenegg came into possession of the Prag family and was incorporated into the Windhaag estate. After the abolition of the monastery in Windhaag by Joseph II, the property passed to the Domkapitel Linz in 1792.
Tel: +43 (0)7956/7304