In 1208, a certain “Heinricus de Celle” is mentioned, the first written mention of today’s village of Bad Zell (Cella). A few kilometers outside the village of Zell, the “Hof daz Celle”, while the aristocratic residence of Zellhof was established later. 1347 Zellhof is mentioned in writing as the property of Chunrat and Peter Czellhof. This was followed by numerous changes in the owners and its reconstruction into a noble residence (a smaller, non-fortified but representative seat of the lower nobility).
1536 Zellhof is purchased by Hilleprant Jörger, who had acquired the Prandegg estate north of Zell two years earlier, the market village of Zell from Regensburg, and in
1607 the Zellhof from Wolf Heinrich Artstetter von Wartberg.
Between 1618 and 1622, Ferdinand Jörger commissioned a large tract with a representative external staircase and which also contained representative rooms, as well as a two-story tract. During the Counter-Reformation, Hans Maximilian Jörger had to sell all his property in 1631 and the estate passed to Gotthard von Scherffenberg. After his death, his widow married Hans Reichard von Starhemberg.
In 1607, after the merger of the Prandegg estate with Zellhof, the administrative headquarters were located in Zellhof, and Prandegg was left to dilapidate. In 1710-1754 the castle was owned by Franz Ferdinand von Salburg, who also enlarged it. He built a castle tower and a new chapel and converted the building in Baroque style.
There were 678 feudal houses that belonged to the estate of Zellhof, Prandegg, and Aich. In 1806, after the Salburg family died out, Zellhof passed over to Count Dietrichstein, a native of Carinthia. In 1823, Zellhof and Prandegg were sold to the Dukes of Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha, based in Greinburg. In 1917, the tower and the representative main buildings were demolished. The remaining buildings were later given to the village of Zell, which assigned them to “tenants”.
Tel: +43 (0)7956/7304