In the mid-13th century, the lords of Velešín and Michalovice, who also owned the castles of Velešín and Sokolčí, had the Tichá fortress built.
1360 is the year of the first written document. The fortress never developed into the center of an independent estate but instead remained a permanent part of the Velešín fortified castle.
After the death of Beneš and Jan of Velešín, administration over the fortress was first assumed by Petr and Jošt of Rožmberk, then in1387 the defensive building finally passed into the complete ownership of Oldřich of Rožmberk and his son Jindřich. At that time, Tichá served as the seat of the burgrave and hetman.
1611 Petr Vok of Rožmberk died, and with him the entire male line of the Rožmberks, so the fortress was inherited by Jan Jiří of Švamberk. The property of the Švamberks was confiscated, however, after their participation in the Revolt of the Bohemian Estates. Count Charles Bonaventure Buquoy, in contrast, supported the winning side during the Battle of White Mountain, and in 1620 he acquired the fortress from Emperor Ferdinand II of Habsburg. From that time, the building was used solely for utilitarian purposes and also was greatly damaged by the fires of 1687, 1707 and 1789.
In 1789, Johann Nepomuk Buquoy had it rebuilt into a brewery which was in operation for almost a century.
After 1945, the fortress was used by the agricultural cooperative and subsequently to the National State Farm (Státní statek) Enterprise.
Around 1970, all the buildings, except for the tower, were pulled down due to their poor structural condition.
Since 2001, the fortress has been a registered cultural heritage property.
Tel: +43 (0)7956/7304